FSRH Diploma recertification requirements
If you hold the FSRH Diploma, we require recertification every five years to ensure that you have developed and maintained the knowledge, skills, attitude and behaviour needed to provide safe and effective sexual and reproductive health care (SRH).
How to apply
You can apply for recertification by downloading and filling in the relevant form and submitting it by post. Or, you can fill it in online. Before filling in the online form, please have all the relevant information to hand before starting it, you will not be able to save it and then revisit it later, it must be completed in one sitting.
Please make sure to apply for recertification not more than six months before your recertification date and no later than six weeks afterwards.
CPD for recertification
To recertify, you need to collect at least 10 credits of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activity over the past five years. This activity must be relevant to SRH, and you must have gained at least 2.5 CPD credits within 24 months of your recertification date.
You can find a calendar of CPD courses, meetings and events on this website.
CPD is based on self-assessment, so we recommend that you take part in the various development activities that the GMC describes in Good Medical Practice.
Categories of CPD activity
You can gain the 10 CPD credits required for recertification under these two sections.
Gain at least five CPD credits by attending:
- courses in core topics directly related to SRH, and/or
- courses relating to consultation skills.
Evidence required if requested: certificate of attendance, programme of meeting and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Gain no more than five CPD credits from other activities, such as:
Small group teaching and discussion within informal SRH courses. Evidence required if requested: date and a brief description of the sessions, plus a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Peer review of personal clinical SRH practice (Observing clinical SRH practice and giving feedback afterwards: 1 CPD credit; being observed providing clinical SRH practice and discussing feedback afterwards: 1 CPD credit.)
Evidence required if requested: date and name of observer/person being observed and a brief outline of what you learned from this, either as the observer or the observed.
Commissioning or implementing SRH services Evidence required if requested: brief description of your activity and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Completing Faculty distance learning programmes (1 CPD point for completing two e-SRH sessions). Evidence required if requested: certificate print out from e-SRH and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice
Reading Clinical Effectiveness Unit (CEU) guidance and completing multiple-choice questions
(Reading: 1 CPD credit; completion of self-assessment questions: 1 CPD credit.)
Evidence of reading if requested: date read and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Evidence of questions if requested: mark sheet, date completed and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Topics relevant to SRH CPD activity
- Audit – relevant to SRH
- Cancer screening – cervix, ovary, breast, bowel, prostate, testes and colposcopy
- Contraception – all methods, reversible and irreversible
- Critical reading skills
- Endocrinology – associated with SRH
- Epidemiology – related to SRH, screening and SRH statistics, trends in SRH, and world population issues
- Ethical issues – associated with SRH
- Failed pregnancy – abortion, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancies
- Forensic gynaecology
- Genitourinary medicine – sexually transmitted infections, HIV and AIDs
- Infertility/Subfertility – male and female
- Information technology – associated with sexual health
- Legal issues – associated with SRH, medical negligence, and consent
- Medical/surgical problems – impact on sexual health and contraception
- Medical gynaecology – menorrhagia, dysmenorrhoea, dyspareunia, endometriosis, PCOS, amenorrhoea and pelvic pain
- Menopause – climacteric, HRT, PMB, osteoporosis, and alternative methods
- Post-natal depression
- Pre-conceptual care – prenatal diagnosis
- Pre-menstrual syndrome
- Psychosexual issues – relationship issues and gender identity
- Special needs groups – learning and physical disabilities, homeless, travellers, drug abusers, ethnic and religious issues, the young and the perimenopausal
- Worldwide contraception and SRH
Personal beliefs guidance
At the time of recertifying your FSRH qualification, you need to confirm you have read the 6 principles of care as outlined in the “Guidance for those undertaking or recertifying FSRH qualifications whose personal beliefs conflict with the provision of abortion or any method of contraception” and agree to abide by them in practice.
Evidence of CPD activity
You do not always need evidence of CPD activity when you are applying for recertification. However, the General Training Committee audits 10% of all applications and reserves the right to ask for supporting documentation for all your activity.
You should also keep all your CPD documentation for your annual appraisals, which form part of your GMC Revalidation (every five years) or NMC registration (every three years).
Failure to recertify when due
Please also see the recertification information page.
If you apply for recertification more than six weeks after your recertification date, you must take an extra five CPD credits to cover the time lapse, bringing your total CPD requirement to 15 credits, at least 10 of which must be gained from activities listed in section 1 above.
Please note that you can only do this once; applying late for recertification a second time means you must retake the full Diploma training programme.
If you wish to apply for an extension on your recertification date, please complete this questionnaire. If you have any questions, you can call our recertification team on +44(0)20 3198 3180 or +44(0)20 7724 5620.
If you would like further information about recertification of the Diploma contact us on +44(0)20 7724 5620 or +44(0)20 3198 3180 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.