FSRH signs up to the BMA’s Ending Sexism in Medicine Pledge
Date: 06 Mar 2023
Type: FSRH Press Releases and Statements
As the voice for healthcare professionals working in sexual and reproductive healthcare, the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare (FSRH) is committed to ensuring all doctors and medical students work in an environment free from discrimination. We are proud to have signed up to the British Medical Association’s (BMA) pledge on Ending Sexism in Medicine. The joint pledge aims to ensure that sexism is not tolerated within the medical profession, and that the gender of doctors or medical students plays no role in their career progression.
As the voice for SRH professionals, we are supporting the BMA’s campaign which invites organisations to join together in raising awareness of sexism in medicine and pledge support for a discrimination-free working environment.
We pledge our support for a medical profession that:
- Promotes a culture of respect for the competency and contribution of all doctors and medical students without assumptions or stereotypes based on gender.
- Addresses the negative impact of gender stereotypes in medical education and career pathways.
- Ensures equal opportunities for doctors and medical students to pursue and thrive in the career path of their choice, without gender stereotypes playing a limiting factor in their career.
- Has systems to raise concerns that are transparent, fair, and accountable, that doctors and medical students have confidence in.
- Takes targeted and evidence-based actions when addressing inequality.
- Recognising that women are more likely to experience sexism – while also acknowledging that other genders can be subject to disadvantage, for example, non-binary people being sexually harassed or men having less support to take parental leave due to gender stereotypes.
For further information, please contact: Shams Hanieh, External Affairs Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to Editors:
More information on BMA’s report on Sexism in Medicine can be found here.
The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare (FSRH) is the leader in the field of sexual and reproductive healthcare, and we are the voice for professionals working in this area. As a multi-disciplinary professional membership organisation, we set clinical guidance and standards, provide training and lifelong education, and champion safe and effective sexual and reproductive healthcare across the life course for all.