FSRH has developed this free electronic tool for UK members to audit their provision of Progestogen-only Pills (POP) at their services. This audit is primarily focused on those working in primary care but will be useful for those in specialist services and other settings.
Benchmarking services can help clinicians understand how their service performs nationally, it may provide evidence of audit activity for appraisals, it can be used in discussions with funders and it can help clinicians identify areas for development.
Four auditable standards have been selected for services providing CHC to benchmark their practice against other services in the UK, these are:
In women prescribed progestogen-only pills (POP) what percentage of women...
- had a comprehensive drug history taken?
- using an enzyme-inducing drug were offered effective contraception that is not affected by the enzyme-inducer?
- were informed about the effectiveness (with both typical and perfect use) of POP
- were given advice - and directed to reliable, accessible information - about how to take their POP correctly and what to do if use is incorrect
To take part, FSRH members need to (by 25th November 2022):
- Download the Excel workbook at the foot of this page and start recording data in the ‘Recording Sheet’ tab.
- When they have collected and entered their data into the Excel workbook, submit the excel sheet to FSRH CEU via email to CEU.Chalmers@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk
- They will receive their service’s ranked scores by the middle of January 2023
Full information and contact details for questions about the process is included in the audit Excel workbook. You can also contact the FSRH CEU Researcher, Eric Chen, by email Eric.Chen@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk.
We hope that members will take part in this initiative, which we hope will be really useful for clinicians looking to audit and benchmark their services.
Our latest FSRH Clinical Guideline Progestogen-only Pills can be accessed here or downloaded for free at the foot of this news story.
FSRH members should return their completed audit by 25th November 2022.