The FSRH has developed a free electronic tool (in Excel) for members to audit their provision of emergency contraception. FSRH members should return their completed audit by 30 April 2019.
This audit is primarily focused on those working in primary care but will be useful for those in specialist services, pharmacies and in voluntary agencies.
Current FSRH members that take part will receive their free individualised results which will rank their submitted figures for each of the auditable standards with other services from the UK. Members who submitted their data in the 2018 benchmarking audit will also receive additional analysis of their service data from both 2018 and 2019.
Five auditable standards (one new for 2019) have been selected for services providing emergency contraception to benchmark their practice against other services in the UK. They are:
In women presenting for emergency contraception,
1. What percentage of women attend for emergency contraception were assessed for the suitability of copper intrauterine device (Cu-IUD) for emergency contraception? (new standard for 2019)
2. What percentage of women suitable for a Cu-IUD were provided with information about Cu-IUD as a method of emergency contraception?
3. What percentage of women suitable for a Cu-IUD were offered the Cu-IUD as an option for emergency contraception?
4. What percentage of women were given contraceptive advice.
5. What percentage of women were given sexual health advice.
Benchmarking services can help clinicians understand how their service performs nationally, it may provide evidence of audit activity for appraisals, it can be used in discussions with funders and it can help clinicians identify areas for development.
The FSRH CEU has also developed a template for emergency contraception consultation which will make it easier to audit EC outcomes and will act as an aide memoire for some of the more complex aspects of EC during consultation. This may be used to inform the development of electronic template for electronic patient records. You will find this template at the foot of this news story.
To take part, FSRH members need to (by 30 April 2019):
1. Download this Excel workbook at the foot of this page and start recording data in the ‘Recording Sheet’ tab.
2. When they have collected and entered their data into the Excel workbook, take the data that has been generated on the ‘Figures for Auditable Standards’ tab and enter into this online form by 30 April 2019.
3. They will receive their service’s ranked scores by the middle of June 2019.
Full information and contact details for questions about the process is included in the audit Excel workbook which can be found at the foot of this news story and you can contact the FSRH CEU Researcher - Eric Chen (Eric.Chen@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk) direct.
We hope that members will take part in this new initiative, which we hope will be really useful for clinicians looking to audit and benchmark their services.
Our latest Guidance on Emergency Contraception Guidance can be downloaded for free here.