FSRH launches Emergency Contraception UK national audit
Date: 10 Jan 2018
Type: FSRH News and Information
The FSRH has developed a free electronic tool (in Excel) for members to audit their provision of emergency contraception. FSRH members should return their completed excel working by 30 April 2018.
This audit is primarily focused on those working in primary care but will be useful for those in specialist services, pharmacies and in voluntary agencies.
Current FSRH members that take part will receive their free individualised results which will rank their submitted figures for each of the auditable standards with other services from the UK.
The auditable standards
In women presenting for emergency contraception:
1. What percentage of women suitable for a copper intrauterine contraceptive device (Cu-IUD) were provided with information about Cu-IUD as a method of emergency contraception.
2. What percentage of women suitable for a Cu-IUD were offered the Cu-IUD as an option for emergency contraception.
3. What percentage of women were given contraceptive advice.
4. What percentage of women were given sexual health advice.
Benchmarking services can help clinicians understand how their service performs nationally, it may provide evidence of audit activity for appraisals, it can be used in discussions with funders and it can help clinicians identify areas for development.
To take part, FSRH members need to (by 30 April 2018):
1. Download this Excel workbook at the foot of this page and start recording data in the ‘Recording Sheet’ tab.
2. When they have collected and entered their data into the Excel workbook, take the data that has been generated on the ‘Figures for Auditable Standards’ tab and enter into this online form by 30 April 2018.
3. They will receive their service’s ranked scores by the middle of June 2018.
Full information and contact details for questions about the process is included in the audit Excel workbook which can be found at the foot of this news story and you can contact the FSRH CEU Researcher - Eric Chen (Eric.Chen@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk) direct.
We hope that members will take part in this new initiative, which we hope will be really useful for clinicians looking to audit and benchmark their services.
Our latest Guidance on Emergency Contraception Guidance can be downloaded for free at the foot of this news story.