- Share this article
- Share on twitter
- Share on LinkedIn
- Share on Facebook
- Email to a friend
- Print page
Information for the public
What is Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare, and why is it important?
“Sexual and reproductive health care supports all people in having a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of infection, coercion, discrimination and violence; enabling them to decide if, when and how often to have children by informing them of, and providing access to, safe, effective, affordable and acceptable methods of contraception of their choice. It also signposts women to the necessary support and care to go safely through pregnancy and childbirth, thus maximising the chance of having a healthy infant”. – FSRH Vision, 2015.
How do we make sure that patients remain at the heart of our work?
As clearly set out in our Vision document we are committed to ensuring that women and men have access to a full choice of contraceptive methods. They should have access to a trained healthcare professional to discuss the full range of sexual and reproductive health care available to them without fear of harassment or stigma.
Sources of information and support for the public
As a membership organisation for medical professionals, our primary purpose is to work with and support our 15,000+ members to deliver the highest quality SRH care to all patients across the UK.
We do not provide direct advice and support to members of the public, but all our work is designed to improve standards for patients.
Here is a list of links to organisations that may be useful to patients or anyone looking for information on Sexual and Reproductive Health:
- NHS sexual health information and support services – search for sexual health and information support by postcode
- NHS A-Z Conditions & Treatments - Find high-quality information on more than 800 health conditions and treatments
- Brook- Provides free and confidential sexual health advice and contraception to young people. Includes facts, rights and FAQ
- FPA: The Sexual Health Company - Help and information about contraception and sexual health. Includes a facility to search for local clinics
- Marie Stopes International - Offering contraception help, access to safe abortion and post abortion care.
- NHS Contraception Choices website - Offering information on different types of contraception
- British Pregnancy and Advisory Service (BPAS) - The leading provider of abortion services in the UK with over 40 abortion clinics and sexual health centres in England, Wales and Scotland
STI and HIV
- Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) - The largest voluntary sector provider of HIV and sexual health services in the UK, running services out of local centres across Great Britain
- Menopause Matters - Is an award-winning, independent website providing up-to-date, accurate information about the menopause, menopausal symptoms and treatment options.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) – The RCOG provides a wide range of patient information leaflets including: pregnancy and birth, gynaecology and recovering after an operation