Recertification Requirements for Letters of Competence (LoC IUT & LoC SDI)
LoC IUT / LoC SDI Recertification requirements
If you hold Letters of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques (LoC IUT) and/or Subdermal Contraceptive Implant Techniques (LoC SDI), we require recertification every five years. This is to ensure that you have developed and maintained the knowledge, skills, attitude and behaviour needed to provide safe and effective sexual and reproductive health care (SRH).
How to apply
You can apply for recertification by downloading and filling in the relevant form and submitting it by post. Or, you can fill in the form online. Before filling in the online form, please have all the relevant information to hand before starting it, you will not be able to save it and then revisit it later, it must be completed in one sitting:
- Download the form for Recertification of the Letter of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques (LoC IUT)
- Download the form for Recertification of the Letter of Competence in Subdermal Contraceptive Implant Techniques (LoC SDI)
- Complete the online form for Recertification of the Letter of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques (LoC IUT)
- Complete the online form for Recertification of the Letter of Competence in Subderman Contraceptive Implant Techniques (LoC SDI)
Please make sure to apply for recertification not more than six months before your recertification date and no later than six weeks afterwards.
To apply successfully for recertification, you need to demonstrate:
- at least two credits of relevant CPD over the past five years
- completion of the relevant e-SRH module (for NHS professionals) or Faculty-approved distance learning (for non-NHS professionals)
- proof of basic life support and anaphylaxis training
- a log of IUT insertions / SDI insertions and removals
You can find more information on each of these requirements below. You can also find a calendar of CPD courses, meetings and events on this website.
To recertify for either LoC IUT or LoC SDI, you need to collect at least two credits of CPD activity over the past five years. This activity must be relevant to IUT / SDI, and may be gained in the following ways.
Attendance at courses/meetings relevant to IUT / SDIEvidence required: certificate of attendance, programme of meeting and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Reading of relevant, current, peer-reviewed publications e.g. JFPRHC, BMJEvidence required: reference of article, and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice (1 CPD credit per article).
Reading of FSRH Clinical Effectiveness Unit (CEU) guidelines on IUT/SDI methods and completion of self-assessment questionsReading: 1 CPD credit and completion of self-assessment questions: 1 CPD credit (this may not be counted towards CPD if used to fulfil your e-SRH module 18/17 requirement).
Evidence of reading: date read and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Evidence of questions: mark sheet, date completed and a brief reflection on how this will influence your future practice.
Peer observation: up to two CPD credits for taking part in a peer observation which involves inserting an IUT / inserting or removing an SDI, and discussing feedback afterwards. (1 CPD credit as the observer and/or 1 CPD credit as the observed.)Evidence required: date and name of the colleague involved and a brief outline of what you learned from this, either as the observer or the observed.
Audit of IUT / SDI (personal or local)Evidence required: date, summary of audit, and a brief description of your role in the audit (1 CPD credit).
Evidence of CPD activity
You do not always need evidence of CPD activity when you are applying for recertification. However, the General Training Committee audits 10% of all applications and reserves the right to ask for supporting documentation for all your activity.
If you are an NHS professional, you must also complete e-SRH module 18 (for LoC IUT) or e-SRH module 17 (for LoC SDI) during the two years before your recertification date.
If you are not an NHS professional, you may instead complete Faculty-approved distance learning e.g. the latest CEU IUT / CEU SDI guidance and self-assessment questions.
You should also be up-to-date with basic life support and anaphylaxis training in accordance with your employer’s policy.
Finally, please submit a log covering a consecutive 12 month period that started no more than 24 months before your recertification date.
- For LoC IUT, this log should show 12 insertions, showing at least two different types of IUT method in conscious women.
- For LoC SDI, the log should show at least six SDI procedures, including at least one insertion and one removal.
Failure to recertify when due
Please also see the recertification homepage.
If you apply for recertification more than six weeks after your recertification date, you must:
1. gain the necessary CPD credits and the Basic Life Support and anaphylaxis training outlined above
2. complete the relevant e-SRH module no more than 12 months before your application date (as opposed to within 24 months of recertification date)
3. provide a log (described above) covering a consecutive 12 month period within 24 months of your date of application (as opposed to recertification date)
4. stop training or supervising anybody working towards an LoC.
If you need any more help with recertifcation, please contact us by calling us on either: +44(0)20 7724 5620 or +44(0)20 3198 3180 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.