e-Knowledge Assessment (eKA)
The eKA is a summative assessment and the only feedback is a pass or fail. We cannot provide individualised feedback. The majority of doctors and nurses pass first time, but you are able to take it as many times as you’d like. However, please be aware that the number of attempts is recorded on our database. Each sitting is an additional cost of £75.
Achieving the ‘eKA in SRH’ means that you have passed the theoretical requirement and can progress to the clinical stages of these four qualifications:
• Diploma of Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare (DFSRH)
• Nurse Diploma of Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare (NDFSRH)
• Letter of Competence in Intrauterine Techniques (LoC IUT)
• Letter of Competence in Sub-dermal Implants (LoC SDI)
We strongly encourage you to study for the eKA using the e-SRH online resource, which you can use by registering with e-LfH. It is free to all NHS employees; non-NHS employees can pay a fee to use it.
Read our FAQs on the eKA to learn more.
The eKA requires an online payment of £75.00 per attempt. Please note, once you have paid your fee, you will have twenty-eight days in which to take the online exam.
Please note that the eKA payment is non-cancellable and non-refundable. We recommend reading the eKA FAQs in full before paying for the eKA.
Once you finish the eKA you will be told your result immediately on screen. If you are not given your result upon completing the eKA, please contact the exams officer at 0207 724 5629. If you pass the eKA you will be sent a confirmation email (which are sent out each hour). Please make sure to check your junk folder for this email. Unfortunately you will not be able to access a certificate from the ‘My Certificates’ section of My FSRH for the eKA.
The eKA in SRH – what you need to know
The eKA in SRH assesses candidates’ knowledge in the following subject areas:
- Fertility awareness and the lactational amenorrhoea method
- Estrogen containing contraceptive methods
- Oral and injectable progestogen only contraceptive methods
- Barrier contraceptive methods
- Assessment and referral for intra uterine contraceptive methods
- Assessment and referral for sub dermal contraceptive implants
- Assessment and referral for sterilisation
- Emergency contraception
For each of these subjects, candidates will be assessed on:
- Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and how the contraceptive method works
- Patient selection for contraceptive methods (for example: age, contra-indications, post-pregnancy, consent, confidentiality and safeguarding)
- Drug interactions and pharmacology of contraceptive methods
- Initiation and ‘quick start’ of contraceptive methods
- Management of side effects and complications of contraceptive methods
There will also be questions on:
- Presentation, diagnosis, and testing for vaginal discharge and STIs
- Management at GP/community SRH level of vaginal discharge, pelvic pain and STIs – including male genital discharge, genital lumps, infestations and ulcers (not including management of HIV or blood borne viruses)
- Asymptomatic screening (male and female)
- Testing for HIV and blood-borne viruses
- Management of a woman presenting with an unplanned pregnancy
The questions are based on the information found in nationally recognised sources such as FSRH and BASHH Guidelines and UKMEC
Take the eKA now as a new user/non member of FSRH
If you are registering with this website for the first time and you are not already an FSRH member, click here to sign up for an account. This involves selecting a username and entering your email address. After signing up, you will receive an automated email inviting you to register for a 'My FSRH' account where you will be asked to enter a few more details.
Once you have completed the online registration process, you will have access to 'My FSRH'. When logged into your 'My FSRH' account, click on 'Take a Qualification', select the relevant qualification, then follow the steps to register for the eKA.
Take the eKA (existing FSRH members)
If you are an existing user of this website or a member of FSRH, you will have received an email inviting you to register on this website. After your have completed your registration process, please log in to 'My FSRH', click on the icon labelled 'Take a Qualification' to find links to our qualifications suite, select the relevant qualification, then follow the steps to register for the eKA.
Please note, any eKA queries should be directed to the Exams Officer by phone on: +44(0)20 7724 5629 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.