If you do not hold a current FSRH Diploma, MFSRH or FFSRH, you must pass (or have recently passed) our online knowledge assessment (the ‘eKA in SRH’). Find out more about the eKA.
If you do hold a current FSRH Diploma, MFSRH or FFSRH, there is no need to take the eKA.
Module 17 of the e-SRH
However, everybody must complete Module 17 of the e-SRH. This is an e-learning package, free to NHS professionals, which contains interactive learning modules on various topics. Each module lasts around 20 minutes. Please register with e-Learning for Healthcare (e-LfH).
FSRH Diploma or LoCs - requirement for anaphylaxis training
The entry requirements for the DFSRH, NDFSRH, LoC SDI and LoC IUT include the need for trainees to provide evidence that they are up to date with Basic Life Support and Anaphylaxis Training in accordance with their employer’s local policy. Trainees are encouraged to access local training where available. In the rare instances where this is unavailable, online updating which follows the UK Resuscitation Council standards may be deemed acceptable; there are a number of websites which offer e-learning for a fee. Trainers may choose to accept certificates of completion as suitable evidence. Doctors who register with doctors.net.uk can access free on-line learning through this website.
Trainees must first use a model arm to practice inserting and removing subdermal implants. This practice can take place as part of the Course of 5 for the FSRH Diploma, or in a separate training session.
The training then moves to live volunteers: you must complete as many supervised insertions and removals as necessary until your trainer is satisfied that you are competent.
1. Your practical training must be completed through a Faculty-recognised General Training Programme – you can find a list of them on our 'Find a Trainer' page when you register or log into 'My FSRH'.
2. You must document all your practical training and obtain the signature of your trainer when you competently complete each stage / insertion. Download a training record.
Once you have completed both parts of your training, you may apply for your LoC SDI. To do this, log into ‘My FSRH’ and then complete:
1. Your LoC SDI training record / application form
2. The online evaluation of your training experience – you can find links to this in ‘My FSRH’
If you are already experienced in subdermal contraceptive implant techniques and are currently providing subdermal implant contraception, you can fast-track your training by self-certifying. Read the training requirements by clicking the link at the top of this page.
Associated fees and costs
• eKA – £75 per sitting.
• Clinical Training – costs are set locally.
• LoC SDI application fee – £55 for current FSRH members (Associates, Members, Fellows and current holders of the Diploma); £300 for non-members.
Please note: even if you do not hold a Diploma or Nurse Diploma, you can still apply to become an Associate Member of the Faculty. This allows you to pay the reduced membership rate for LoC awards and to gain free recertification if you continue to pay the annual Associate Membership fee.
To begin your LoC SDI, please Register or log into 'My FSRH'.